Latest News Letter By John Ahen   12/09/2016


All square

Araglin 0 – 15

Killavullen 1 – 12

Winning any sort of championship isn’t easy and while the North Cork junior B hurling championship may not be the force it once was, this didn’t prevent two honest sides going at it hammer and thongs in Glanworth last Saturday evening.

Killavullen on the strength of their county championship run started as favourites, however, they were matched stride for stride by a steely and stubborn Araglin side who faced into a very stiff wind in the opening half.

Be it junior B or senior, you need a reliable free taker to have any kind of chance of success and in James Kearney we have a man whose conversion rate is usually around 80 to 90 percent. He registered 5 of our six points in the opening 30 minutes – all from placed balls – Dave Browne who is always good for a score or two, got the other point after he latched on to miss hit from Brendan Allen. Veteran corner forward, Tom Browne, was fouled for our first free. It was 2 points each after 10 minutes. Conditions made free flowing hurling difficult and chances weren’t that plentiful. There was plenty tough exchanges with Dooner putting in a massive hit on a Killavullen player as he broke through the defence – our combative approach and good free taking kept us in touch and we were only a point down at the break. (0 – 07 to 0 – 06). A feature of Araglin’s play in the first half was our constant harassing of Killavullen players – in this regard, Shay Russell, Paddy Kenneally and Tom Lyons were particularly effective. Captain and half forward, Brendan Allen won his fair share of possession while Seamie O’Gorman, who always gives 100%, wasn’t holding back either.  The glaring sun was also a factor for our defenders in the first half and Sean Allen and Paul Hickey, who manned the midfield, had to be extra alert to avert danger. A great chance presented itself to towering corner forward, Mitch Barry, but wasn’t availed of, otherwise Mitch hunted down a lot of ball and worked hard. 

Kevin Fitzgerald, another long serving player, who is now doing a good job between the posts, pulled off a great save 5 minutes into the second half. Cain O’Mahony has been very consistent all year and a fine strike resulted in a converted 65 – he followed this up with a pointed free. Dave Browne, showing customary accuracy, got our 9th point of the evening.

10 minutes in to the second half, Killavullen struck for a goal that could have been better defended. Cain, who was assigned long range free duty, hit point number 10. Dave Browne, operating at centre forward notched up point number 11.

It was clear at this stage that no one was going to run away with this game. There was never more than a point or two between the sides and every opportunity was vital. Both teams were relying on frees as a source of scores - as a result Ballyhea referee, Mike Kelly, was under intense scrutiny. Given the difficult nature of the job, keeping everyone happy isn’t possible and Killavullen seemed to think we were getting soft frees - surprise, surprise, our camp claimed the reverse was true.

Nevertheless, the game went on with the Araglin management introducing Mark Hickey for Sean Allen – the high balls that Mark thrives on didn’t come his way. Neilus Kearney then joined the fray when he replaced Tom Browne. Two more pointed frees from Gus made it 1 – 10 to 0 – 13 as the game entered the final 10 minutes. Critically, a massive long range point from Dooner pushed us ahead by a single score. Killavullen hit back with a point of their own and then even more critically they had ‘a goal’ disallowed – significantly Ballygiblin umpire, Edmond Barry Jr. didn’t go for his flag when the Killavullen forward finished to the net from close range. After consultation, ‘the goal’ was ruled out because of a small square infringement.

It was 1 – 12 to 0 – 14 with time almost up – another free provided us with a chance to tie the game and Gus held his nerve to hit it over the black spot. At the death, Liam Keane, who worked tirelessly over the hour, had a chance but shot narrowly wide.

There was more ‘debate’ about whether extra time would apply, after some telephoning and negotiating it was agreed that both sides would have to do it all again. This final wasn’t a classic but there was great intensity throughout. We played well as a team and can take a lot of positives from the performance. Killavullen lacked a bit of sharpness, however, in Barry Murphy, they have a very formidable operator. He was a real thorn in our side and doesn’t miss much.

Team, panel and scorers: Kevin Fitzerald (GK), Sean Allen, Shay Russell, Paddy Kenneally, Tom Lyons, Tom Kenneally (0 – 01), Liam Keane, Paul Hickey, Cain O’Mahony (0 – 03, 2 frees + ‘65’) James Gus Kearney (0 – 08 frees) Dave Browne (0 – 03) Brendan Allen (captain), Tom Browne, Seamie O’Gorman and Mitch Barry. Subs: Mark Hickey for Sean Allen and Neilus Kearney for Tom Browne. Panel: Darragh O’Donoghue, Kieran O’Donovan, Alan Bourke, Darragh Allen, Mike Lyons, Diarmuid Neligan, Dave Neligan and Philip Corbett.

Reiteoir: Mike Kelly (Ballyhea).

Lotto results from Thurs. 01st Sept.

Numbers drawn: 01, 06, 25 & 26 (no winner). Lucky dips to: €50 – Bill & Bridget Leddy, Araglin; €50 – John O’Brien, Ballard, Araglin; €25 – Sarah Russell, c.o. Bill Russell, Araglin and €25 – P.J. McCarthy, Kilworth, c.o. Centra, Kilworth. This Thursday night’s jackpot is €2,400.


Club Lotto


Lotto Results



JACKPOT WAS NOT WON LUCKY DIP WINNERS €50 Jessica Twomey c/o Denis Twomey €50 Caroline Hickey c/o Emmet Allen €25 Mike Fitzgerald c/o Online €25 Shane O'Neill c/o Fitgerald Hurley's NEXT DRAW 19th MARCH JACKPOT €8700

Club Shop